Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Furious

There is fury at the house of the Miniature Rose today. I'm not even sure where to begin.

While the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq has steadily climbed to 1724 and the stream of severely wounded soldiers continues unabated, the attention of the mainstream US media is turned to Saddam Hussein's junk food preferences.

I am not certain if Saddam Hussein is technically considered to be a prisoner of war, but let's err on the side of caution. The Geneva Conventions clearly state that: "Prisoners of war must be protected against insults and public curiosity."

Who in the hell authorized those five media whores Pennsylvania National Guardsmen to talk to GQ and Matt Lauer???? What in the hell were they thinking???

As my Dad would say, "the optics are bad." There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator and a terrible man. No-one could have sympathy for that devil. However, we must take the higher ground. This is a zero-defects situation. Violating the Geneva Conventions, even if they don't strictly apply to this situation, is unconscionable.

I am furious because this puts my family at direct risk of retaliation - my soldier husband, and my precious child who attends a school comprised mostly of military dependents.

To those five Guardsmen, I ask: how much did you get for your soul?

No comments: