Monday, June 13, 2005

Interesting ...

This month's issue of The Annals of Internal Medicine discusses discusses the health of soldiers who served in the first Gulf War. Whilst I believe that the study's methodology is flawed, the results are astonishing. Gulf War I vets were forty times more likely to suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome than those who were on Active Duty at the time, but not serving in the area.
While my husband has been all around the world in BDU's, this upcoming deployment will be his first to the Gulf. He's already had the chronic fatigue label stamped in his extensive medical file. I know that such a condition exists, but I'm not convinced that every diagnosis of CFS is truly that. In hubby's case, I have to wonder if the diagnosis wasn't the written equivalent of a shoulder shrug - just a white lab coat-wearing high priest of the church of big pharma saying, "damned if I know what's wrong!"
Fortunately, we have found answers outside the realm of big pharma. Dr. Andrew Weil's website is an excellent resource. I won't label a cause and an effect, but my husband's health has improved substantially since he started taking Co-Q 10 and Milk Thistle supplements. I'm just saying.

No comments: