Monday, July 11, 2005

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to appear insensitive by blogging about it

The Sun-Times has a piece written by Richard Roeper which skewers the TV coverage of Hurricane Dennis. I simply must put a direct quote in my blog, just for posterity:

Admit it: Even as you were expressing sympathy for all those people fleeing hurricane Dennis, you were cracking up at the spectacle of reporters for CNN, Fox News Channel, et al., as they struggled to keep their footing while being pelted by the heavy rains and winds. It's just so . . . stupid.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Bear in mind, our TV died 11 months ago and we haven't replaced it yet. So I'm a little like Rip Van Winkle when it comes to the flickering box.

I caught a bit of CNN's coverage on Sunday morning while we were at Bradley's getting some ACU nametags sewn up. I'm sure that anyone who witnessed me bursting into fits of uncontrollable laughter must have thought I was insane, or insensitive, or both. I simply could not suppress my mirth when Soledad O'Brien asked the dude in the rain gear, holding on to a fence and gasping for air in the torrential rain,"can you give us a sense of what it's like out there?" Why, Soledad, it's a lovely day here, a perfect example of why so many people choose to live in Florida! C'mon in, the water's fine!

No comments: