Saturday, July 16, 2005

I've been waiting for this day for so long!!

I waltzed through the doors of our local Walmart at 0700 this morning. I plucked a copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince from the hitherto unwrapped pallet, did a little dance of joy, paid $17 (taxes included) and came home to read it.
I read the first 16 chapters, then it was time to go to the theatre to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mr. Johnny Depp was just as delicious as I had hoped. His portrayal captured the mirth and sparkle of Willy Wonka that had captivated me so many years ago in my repeated readings of Mr. Dahl's fabulous morality play. To my delight and surprise, Freddie Highmore was brilliant as Charlie Bucket. He captured Charlie's innocence and purity of heart, without being cloying. Well done!
When we came home, I read another ten chapters of HP & the HBP, took a siesta, then finished the book.
I will not spoil anything for those who have not had such a decadent day as I have .. but suffice it to say, JK Rowling is a genius.
Was anyone else surprised by the ending?

No comments: