Friday, July 08, 2005

An open letter to Mr. Gene Wilder

Over the past week, I have conducted an intensive study of your portrayal of Willy Wonka in the eponymous film, vis-a-vis my son's repeated viewings of the movie. I stand by my original assertion that your portrayal of one of my favourite kid-lit characters was less than satisfactory. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you turned a delightful, albeit fictional, little man into someone in desperate need of a slap up the side of the head.
So, it was with great sadness and more than a touch of irritation that I learned that you have been badmouthing the delicious Mr. Johnny Depp in his role as Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's adaptation of Mr. Dahl's delightful morality play. I will reserve my full judgement until I have actually seen the film .. but hey! It's Johnny Depp! I'd pay eight bucks to watch him floss his teeth!
In the interim, Mr. Wilder .. have an everlasting gobstopper and shut up.

No comments: