Friday, October 28, 2005

Some free advice for a pseudo-celebrity couple

Several months ago, I had the opportunity to attend a PTO-related luncheon at The Bonnie Castle Resort in Alexandria Bay. (Food? Cooked by someone else? Adult conversation? I'm there!) One of the other PTO moms, from a different school district, told me of her efforts to reach out to the military spouses in the satellite army housing area in her town. (801 housing, for those of you who speak the lingo.) She was frustrated by the lack of response. While I applaud and appreciate her gesture, I can understand the reticence of said army wives to join the little kaffeklatsch. Our world is completely different. We really don't want to listen to women complaining about their husbands' dirty socks left on the floor, or, like, how hard things are when hubby goes deer hunting for two days and leaves them to cope with the children. The urge to slap them silly and scream "get a grip!!" is just too strong sometimes.

Which brings me to today's rant. It seems that a Rochester radio personality and her husband are having some problems in their marriage. Apparently, said problems have been discussed ad nauseum on her morning show for the past year. Shockingly, this tactic has not solved their problems, so they've taken their struggle to the next level: National Television. They agreed to have cameras installed in their home to record their bickering, and the results were shown on ABC's Prime Time. Evidently, they now see how ridiculous their behaviour has been - behaviour witnessed by their 7 year old daughter, I might add - and are in counselling. Good for them. I sincerely hope that they can work things out and alleviate their daughter's suffering. However, I think I can save them a whole lot of time and money with the following advice, and I think I speak for every military spouse who would give anything to see hubby's socks on the floor tonight:

Kimberley and Jason, pull your heads out of your f@#king a@#es and be grateful for what you have.

No comments: