Monday, December 05, 2005

An open letter

To: The lady who let me in front of her in the long line at Aldi's today.

Subject: Gratitude

Ma'am,

You saw that I had just a few items in my cart, and offered me the chance to cut in front of you. You even helped me to get my groceries onto the belt, chatting pleasantly all the while.

Perhaps you already know how much your kind gesture meant to me today. Perhaps you are always so thoughtful. Perhaps you went the extra mile for me, having overheard snippets of my conversation with my friend, S. Perhaps you saw our misty eyes when we talked about how she had been coping in the two months that have passed since her husband died of the wounds he sustained in an IED attack in Iraq. Perhaps you heard her asking me how I was coping with my husband's deployment to Iraq.

Whatever the reason, your thoughtfulness is appreciated. Thank you. I promise to pay it forward.

Rose

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss Leon every day, and wish i could have bought him one more guiness