Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Good to know!

My son has a rather intense interest in dinosaurs. By the age of three, he could identify almost any well-known dinosaur. He wouldn't tell you his name, but he'd tell you that the toy in your hand was a brachiosaurus. His interest has never really waned. His extensive dinosaur collection is sorted into therapods versus saurapods, and his reading material of choice is a dinosaur encyclopedia. He has promised to take us on a fossil dig in Mongolia when he grows up.

Fortunately, paleontology is still a rather young field of study. It is estimated that over seventy percent of dinosaur groupings have yet to be discovered. Dr. Peter Dodson of the University of Pennsylvania says that "It's a safe bet that a child born today could expect a very fruitful career in dinosaur paleontology."

Guess I'd better get a passport.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps one day there will be a
dinosaur grouping named after your son.


RBC

JP's Mama said...

Maybe he and JP will be great paleontologists in the future! We could do a big family dig! I will never forget our trip to DC when he was telling us the names of all the dinosaurs at the museum!

Anonymous said...

I think your son can be anything he wants to be - he is a very special boy!!

I humbly volunteer my services on the dig in Mongolia. I actually just returned from a visit to the world-renowned site of an old archeological dig - L'Anse aux Meadows - so I've got a head start on learning all about 'digs'. (much more to learn, though)

And to you and S, I say "You've done great! Keep up the good work!!"