Friday, August 17, 2007

They disappeared before I could snap a picture!

I've been feeling a little discouraged and guilty about the neglected state of my veggie garden this summer - so much so that I was contemplating an end to my attempts to grow vegetables next summer.

The cucumber vines that I planted a few months ago have been partially obscured by some very tenacious and exuberant weeds. Nevertheless, my son and I found two more beauties hiding in the shade of those weeds today. William's excitement at finding these treasures re-kindled my desire to continue planting vegetables. William quickly rinsed them off and sliced them, and now their life energy is our life energy. Yum, yum, yum! There was no time to take a picture for posterity!

Summer is flying by, isn't it? The last couple of weeks of August used to make me wistful and anxious, grieving the end of summer before it even happened, and feeling pangs of guilt that I didn't carpe every sun-filled diem. This year, I have been liberated from that particular neurotic idiosyncracy. Chalk it up to the freedoms of Bohemian unschooling homeschooling.

No comments: