Monday, February 15, 2010

Perhaps I should have set my sights Altius?

So, my friend Marlyne threw down the (beautifully stitched) gauntlet, and challenged me to sign up for the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics. I thought I'd branch out from my usual single skein sock and/or hat habit, and add a little more colour and difficulty to my project.

I was pleasantly surprised at the ease and speed with which this mitten pattern from Lion Brand came together. By Saturday afternoon, the first mitten was done .. and despite having knit to gauge with a larger set of needles, it was too tight for my rather small hand. The imaginary gold medal seemed out of reach. I reminded myself that there's no crying in knitting, and busied myself with making dinner.

But, in a dramatic turn fit for the Olympics, my son came bounding into the kitchen, mitten on hand. "It's a perfect fit, Mom! Thanks! When will the other be finished?"

I set a personal record for completing the second mitten. The view from this imaginary podium is just spectacular!




S

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOG says, "If at first you don't succeed, Try, try again". Your second attempt should result in a pair big enough for you.
They look very valentine with the little hearts.

patti said...

They are beautiful! Did you win the knitting olympics?

Val said...

Sweet!!! :-)

Janice's Blog said...

I happened upon your blog and was enjoying your pictures and posts. I loved the sentiment of this post so much that I read it to my husband, too. Your photography is beautiful and I couldn't appreciate your politics more. :)